Friday, May 4, 2012

Author Interview with William Bortz


Please welcome my guest today, William Bortz. We met in a literary forum and decided to interview one another because of our shared love of writing and our passion for creating stories. William has a sincere personality and a gentleness about him that I thought others should have the opportunity to get to know. Please welcome William to Sired Scribblings and find out how easy it is to become acquainted with him.

Q: Do you see writing as a career?

Hmmm, I don’t think career would be the right word. To me writing is more than a career, I don’t expect anything to come from my writing. What I mean by that is writing to me is not the means to an end, it’s simply something I know I’ll do for the rest of my life, it’s basically my lifeline.

Q: What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarize it in less
than 20 words what would you say?

These Ties is my latest book. It’s basically about the strain of personal relationships, and how they effect more than you know. And how love can cure all of that and open one’s eyes to the world.




Q: Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?

I do! Actually, when These Ties was being published it was meant to be twice as long and sectioned off into two separate parts, but before it went into the process I decided they weren’t meant to be in one book. The second book is like a series, or more of a follow up of These Ties. It’s almost ready now, I’m having the cover designed and just adding a few more things. I’m very excited for this book, its twice as long, as is much more mature in the writing aspect. It has so many different elements in it, and it really tells more of the story that started with These Ties. I explored so much more with this book, and it’s been in the process of being written for about a year and a half. There’s so much art in it, most that was done by a friend of mine, and that really brings out so much in the book. I also explored a lot with other languages, one mainly, which is one I hope to learn, and it really brings something to the table that wouldn’t be there originally. This book is essentially my soul on paper. This book is really my life’s work, and when I have this one in my hands I will really feel like an author.

Q: Have you learned anything from writing your book(s) and what was it?

I have. It’s strange to think about. Learning something from a book you wrote yourself. But I really did! So many of my ideals have been secured through my writing. Whenever I have doubts or questions that’s when the writing comes, mainly because there are so many questions about the world and our life, so that’s where a good section of my inspiration comes from. I write about them, and feel secure. It’s almost like I answer my own questions without asking them. Writing your soul on paper makes it easier to figure out what it really needs, what it’s starving for, and how to feed it.

Q: How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books? Who designed the cover of your books?

Well one of the main influences of my work is nature. So when coming up for the design I knew it would have something to do with that. The guy that has done almost all the work for my books has been a huge inspiration to me as well. The idea came from advice he gave to me. I was talking to him about my worries about publishing my book since the ideas in it were so personal. He told me it’s hard to break through all the haze in the world, all the darkness and doubt, but that the stories I was telling would help others to find themselves as well. That’s where the cover came from. It’s so natural, and the best way I can explain is in one of the poems in my book.
            “Just remember the world can teach us a lot of things. Like even flowers can grow out of ash.”

Q: How much of the book is realistic?

The whole book is realistic, it’s based off of things I’ve experienced or things those people who are close to me have experienced. It makes the book so personal, but also so relatable. The book was written for them as well as myself before anybody, and seeing it meant a lot because it made me realize how much they have effected my life and how unbearable life would be without all the people who inspired this book.

Q: Are there any hidden messages or morals contained in your books? (Morals as in like Aesops Fables type of “The moral of this story is..”)

There are a few actually. The main one of course is that love can cure everything. Everything. When the book was written I was so lost with my beliefs and outlook on life, and then I found love, and it changed the way I see the world, it’s creatures, and myself. A less noticeable message is that no matter where you come from or who you are, you can capture your dreams. The book talks a lot about my parents, and how they weren’t really parents to me, but a label they couldn’t match up to. All things that are seen as bad or negative can be used to power your life.




William, Thank you again for your time and the chance to learn more about you and your book, These Ties. We look forward to seeing the release of your other books and wish you all the success in the future. 

Follow these media links to get into contact with William




No comments:

Post a Comment